I’m honoured to be mentioned in it.
On Jun 28, 2018 when Upland Software announced their acquisition of RO Innovation, they called it…
…the $400+ million annual sales enablement software market
… which is quoting Travis, T. (2017, September 6): Sales Enablement Platforms Expand the SalesTech Stack.
Obviously there are many ways to define the boundaries of this market.
Here my definition of Sales Enablement.
The Gartner Report: Market Guide for Digital Content Management for Sales published 17-Nov-2017 sees…
…“Digital content management for sales (DCMS)” […] vendors […] “generate $423.5 million in revenue, up by approximately 16% from the previous year.”
Obviously the Sales Engagement Platform market is different from the Sales Enablement Technology [or Sales Enablement Platform] market.
However, it is interesting to take Aragon’s numbers to see what growth rate they are assuming.
If they really think that market can reach $5B by 2021 (which I question; unless they count some of Salesforce’s revenue) and if they assume a linear growth rate, then they are assuming a market growth rate of 59.12% a year.
If not assuming a linear growth rate, then their model might look something like this:
As you can see from the links further down below I’m trying to track both the growth & consolidation of this market.
In 2018 the largest category with the greatest number of vendors was Sales Automation, Enablement & Intelligence with 490 solutions.
Scott actually wrote a post on this growth & consolidation entitled The paradox of simultaneous MarTech consolidation and expansion, illustrated
Whilst this blog salesenablement.wordpress.com just wants to show a complete picture of the market without rankings or recommendations, I have recently come across a couple of such perspectives:
Ignoring Salesforce, Hubspot, Adobe, Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, Velocify Inc., and Jive Software; here my current draft of the long tail of Sales Enablement market players by revenue.
[Edit] July 25, 2019, Bigtincan acquired the assets of Portland, Oregon, USA based Veelo, Inc. for US$1.8m.
My total count is 186 vendors.
The revenue shown in the graph above (I took out Enhatch) is a lot more than the $400M from Travis, T. (2017, September 6): Sales Enablement Platforms Expand the SalesTech Stack.
I added some to account for the elephants in the software market and some for the very long ‘long tail’ of small vendors, agencies, consultants & custom software development shops with Sales Enablement projects, Hence you get to more than the $780M Aragon Research has for the so called Sales Engagement Platform market. I know many companies consider their Microsoft SharePoint document repository as their Sales Enablement portal:
- Salesforce (Salesforce CRM Content/Chatter/Einstein/AppExchange/‘Sales Cloud’ files & libraries)
- SAP (Callidus / iCentera / Litmos, LMS) CRM, CPQ, CLM, Marketing Automation, …
- Adobe Systems (Marketo + ToutApp + Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, now part of Adobe Experience Manager Mobile)
- Microsoft (Microsoft Office, Office Delve, Teams, SharePoint, Dynamics, Yammer, LinkedIn, LinkedIn Learning, etc…)
- IBM (IBM Smarter Workforce former kenexa.com + Vivisimo Velocity Platform = IBM InfoSphere Data Explorer)
- Oracle (Oracle CPQ Cloud former BigMachines Inc + InQuira)
- Velocify Inc. ($50M in revenue annually; competes with SalesHood)
- Jive Software (used to have $203.5M in revenue annually)
This blog is turning 10 years old in 2019. See the archive going back all the way to 2009.
I’m always looking for new ways to show the entire market size and the percentage breakdown of all the market players.
in billion USD. Source of start & end data points: Research and Markets researchandmarkets.com
I do see the market reaching $1.32Bn in annual revenue now in 2019 already, but only if counting some of the revenue of the really large players in software that bought out smaller Sales Enablement players or those big players who offer free/freemium tools that could be used for Sales Enablement.
Here my complete lists:
- table to export/download yourself
- Global list / companies worldwide
- European list / Europe based companies
- Canadian list / Canada based companies
- Australian list / Australia based companies
- New Zealand based companies
- Vendors from the Nordics
- India based (or development in India)
- Sales Enablement market deathwatch
- DIY (Do It Yourself) and b2c tools
- Sales Enablement tools powered by Machine Learning & AI Artificial intelligence
I track the number of LinkedIn users with Sales Enablement in their current job title. 31-Aug-2019, LinkedIn had 9,751 users like that globally.